Starting over can be so overwhelming that quite frankly, most of the time it never happens.
We justify NOT doing anything about it with a variety of excuses:
- I'm too old to start over
- I don't have the experience that I would need to change careers
- I don't have the education I would need to get that job
- I've never started a business before, I wouldn't even know where to start
- I can't afford to quit my job
- I don't have the money to start a business
- I don't even know what I want
- I should be happy with what I have
- I'm not qualified
- I don't have the confidence to put myself out there
- Looking for a job is the worst (this one is true!)
Our egos do an amazing job of keeping us right where we are. Their job is to keep us right there in the safety of our comfort zone, even though our comfort zone might have become quite uncomfortable.
Isn't it amazing how long we allow ourselves to stay uncomfortable? Why do we do that? For the most part it is:
- Fear of getting MORE uncomfortable